This year I’m hoping to continue my 4th grade booktalk class visits that were so fun and successful last year. I’ve talked with the two teachers I worked with last school year, and one gave me a list of core standards that I could talk about and share books on. I have about 9 topics to cover:
- Folktales, fables, legends, and myths: What are the differences, where can you find them in the library, what are some awesome books in each areas.
- Biographies/Autobiographies: Not just the regular requisite 100 pg assignment.
- Mystery: From sleuths to spooky tales, get a clue here!
- Historical Fiction: From the distant past to recent history, we’ll talk about what it is and some good books to read.
- Non-fiction: There are a TON of super awesome non-fiction books out there that are fun to read and fascinating!
- Fantasy: From talking animals to wizards and everything in between.
- Science Fiction: cool gizmos and aliens, along with travels through time.
- Realistic Fiction: Real kids, real fun, and real situations.
- Fiction: I’m not sure why this is on the list, but sure I can talk about 4th grade fiction.
So here’s to a great school year with lots of awesome book talks!